The 29th-annual Reindog Parade takes over the streets on Mount Adams on Saturday (Dec. 8) with a festive procession of pooches dressed in their cleverest holiday wear. And on Sunday (Dec. 9), the sixth annual OTR Raildog Parade does the same, leading costumed dogs and their humans from Queen City Radio to Second Sunday on Main.
If you feel like entering your dog in either contests, here are some really genius human-animal couples’ costume ideas. You’re welcome.
• Santa and Rudolph, except your dog is Santa (with a hat and long white beard) — flipped it!
• Gingerbread man (dog) and oven (you)
• Wrapped present (dog) and Christmas tree (you)
• Christmas tree (still you) and Christmas light bulb (dog)
• Baby Jesus (dog) and Mary and Joseph (you and friend/partner)
• Olaf from Frozen (you, ha) and your dog is either Anna or Elsa — even better if your dog is a Chihuahua and you can put a wig on him/her
• Any variation of A Christmas Story works. Dog is a leg lamp and you are Ralphie. Dog is a leg lamp and you are a “Fragile” box. Dog is Ralphie in Western wear with a Red Ryder BB gun and you are a cat burglar. Small dog is a Bumpus hound and you are a turkey…
• Fruitcake (dog) and a monk (you)
• Scrooge (you) and ghost of Christmas past, present or future or Jacob Marley (dog), depending on how well your dog tolerates chains
• Shovel (you) and snow pile (dog) or dog is a dog but you are a snow pile with pee on you