Starting this May, the parking lot of College Hill's historic Hollywood Theatre was transformed into a summertime drive-in theater, with different films screened each night.
And due to popular demand, its season — slated to end Labor Day — has been extended through Oct. 31, offering both family-friendly and spooky double features. Films are projected onto the back of the Hollywood building and moviegoers can tune into a specific radio station to listen.
Movies start at sundown and parking begins 30 minuets before showtime. Tickets cost $25 per car (because of the double features) and local concessions are available. Purchase your tickets in advance online at hollywooddriveintheater.com.
Here's what's showing when:
- Friday, Sept. 18: Finding Nemo and Finding Dory
- Saturday, Sept. 19: Mean Girls and Clueless
- Friday, Sept. 25: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Jumanji: The Next Level
- Saturday, Sept. 26: Women in Film and Zombieland
- Friday, Oct. 2: Monster House and Beetlejuice
- Saturday, Oct. 3: Women in Film and Black Panther
- Friday, Oct. 9: Halloweentown and Halloween (2018)
- Saturday, Oct. 10: Monsters University and Monsters Inc.
- Friday, Oct. 16: The Princess and the Frog and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Saturday, Oct. 17: Trolls and Gremlins
- Friday, Oct. 23: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Saturday, Oct. 24: The Nightmare Before Christmas and Poltergeist (1982)
- Friday, Oct, 30: Hocus Pocus and Friday the 13th
- Saturday, Oct. 31: Ghostbusters and A Nightmare on Elm Street
The theater is overseen by and funds go to benefit the College Hill Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation
“When we started the Hollywood Drive-In back in May, we were overwhelmed with the citywide support that we received," says CHCURC executive director Seth Walsh. "The moviegoers come from the College Hill community, and beyond. We have decided to continue showing films throughout October and are very pleased to be able to continue hosting this fun, socially distant activity through Halloween weekend."
Hollywood Drive-In Theatre is located at 1538 Cedar Ave., College Hill. More info, tickets and screening times at hollywooddriveintheatre.com.