Findlay Market is commemorating a big milestone this weekend. The oldest continuously operated public market in Ohio is celebrating its 170th anniversary on July 23 with a "Birthday Bash" and night market.
From 10 a.m.-9 p.m., partygoers can check out live music, wandering entertainers, kid-friendly activities, a panel about the history of Findlay Market, an art gallery fundraiser, screenprinting opportunities and a pop-up night market with sparklers and an appearance by Mayor Aftab Pureval to cut a special birthday cake.
Revel OTR Urban Winery has partnered with the market on a sauvignon blanc to commemorate the anniversary. Bottles are for sale ($20) at Mighty Good in the market or available via pre-order online. And SKT Ceramics is raffling off a 170th anniversary cake stand.
Nearby businesses are also getting in on the action with a block party north of Liberty Street. Participants include BarBar OTR ($1 off cocktails), BQuirkie (17% off coupon), La Ofrenda ($10 Del Mercado cocktail), Rookwood Pottery (free hourly factory tours 10 a.m.-4 p.m.) and Sam Adams Taproom ($1 from every beer goes to Findlay Market). The Brewing Heritage Trail is also offering ticketed Over & Under the Rhine Tours at 10 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Findlay fans can also share their stories about the market — or read the stories of others — at findlaymarket.org. Or take a self-guided history tour via the Cincinnati Preservation's Cincinnati Sites & Stories app.
The activity schedule for the July 23 Birthday Bash is:
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. — The Play Library will be set up at Race Street Station with giant Jenga and other games.
- Noon-2 p.m. — Camille Saba Smith plays Jane's and Aimee Jo plays Race Street Station.
- 1-9 p.m. — There will be an art gallery fundraiser at The Columns featuring local artists. Proceeds will benefit vendors and the Corporation for Findlay Market.
- 3-4:30 p.m. — The "Findlay Market: Then & Now" panel discussion will feature local historians and market vendors. It is free, but ticketed. Get tickets at eventbrite.com.
- 4-8 p.m. — Cincinnati Circus Company balloon artists and face painters will be on hand
- 5-9 p.m. — The outdoor Night Market features local vendors, food and drinks. See a full list of vendors at findlaymarket.org.
- 5:30 p.m. — Mayor Pureval will be cutting Findlay Market's birthday cake. There will be free cake available and sparklers.
- 5-9 p.m — SKT Ceramics will be screenprinting birthday cake illustrations onto shirts. Bring you own shirt; must have a smooth finish (aka no fleece, zippers, etc.)
- 5-8 p.m. — The Andrew Hibbard Band will place Race Street Station
- 5-9 p.m. — BB Hutch will play Jane's