The Mill Creek Alliance and Mill Creek Yacht Club are hosting a fun fundraiser and inviting individuals and teams to suit up, grab a bag and clean up the creek during their Trash-a-Thon.
The 2020 Trash-a-Thon takes place along the entirety of the Mill Creek — the 28-mile strand of water that runs from West Chester through the Queen City to the Ohio River — and takes place through September and October. All the goodies you find during your clean-up will garner you points.
Each registration costs $25 per individual and includes an MCA T-shirt. Funds raised will help with restoration, education and recreation programs along the creek.
Here's how the Trash-a-Thon works:
- Register Online ($25). Registration includes supplies and an MCA T-shirt. Choose a Tire Vulture Team to affiliate with.
- Set a GOAL. Challenge yourself to up the amount you can raise.
- Check in with friends and family to get donation pledges based on the trash and tires removed from the Mill Creek watershed (quantity or flat donation)
- Pick up supplies as needed from MCA (garbage bags, gloves, buckets, etc) at 1662 Blue Rock St., Cincinnati, Ohio 45224.
- Clean up the Mill Creek, either by canoe or land-based along the banks
- Record your haul on the trash-tally form and submit data
- Keep it going. Repeat steps 3-6 as many times as you can.
You can also compete to win "prizes" for the amount of trash, tires and money you raise. You get:
- 1 point for a small trash bag of trash
- 2 points for a large trash bag
- 2 points for a car tire
- 4 points for a large truck tire
- Plus special points for what MCA calls "trash trophies" — shopping carts, metal drums, fencing, traffic cones, garbage cans, toilet seats, pig troughs, radios, cell phones, kiddie pools, steering wheels, and other Mill Creek oddities — and "urban tumbleweeds" aka plastic shopping bags.
For more info, email [email protected] or call 513-563-8800.