Lancaster, Ohio is hosting its second annual Wands & Wizards Weekend Aug. 1-3 with tons of Harry Potter-themed activities to enchant all ages. Less than a two-and-a-half hour drive from Cincinnati, the quaint town is transforming into a Hogwarts homestead. Iron your robes and your house scarf and get ready to road trip.
The Harry-tivities include:
- Buttery beer cupcakes from the Happy Goat gluten-free bakery
- "Wizard Rock" band Tonks & the Aurors
- A themed "Potions & Pubs" bar crawl
- Dobby's Sock Drive at the Fairfield County Library
- Create your own potion bottle and magical broom classes
- Magical photo sessions with Through the Looking Glass Photography where the photographer applies a special effect after the fact to make it look like your wand really works
- Harry Potter Trivia
- A Wands and Wizard's costume contest
- And outdoor screening of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
And that's not even half of it.
According to the event page, "The Fairfield County District Library came up with a great idea — to encourage literacy through reading the Harry Potter series and other magical stories. Local businesses, restaurants, and attractions also joined in the fun. And before you could say 'Abracadabra!' … Wands & Wizards Weekend was born! Come to Lancaster, Pickerington, and beyond in Fairfield County, Ohio to experience spellbinding activities, cool costume contests, a free outdoor movie, thematic merchandise, live music, specials and discounts at shops and restaurants, family-friendly entertainment, magical crafts and games, a pub crawl, and all the wizardly fun you could imagine!"
Plug this into your GPS: 158 W. Wheeling St., Lancaster, Ohio 43130 and stick Aug. 1-3 on your wizarding calendar.