Ah, yes, it's that time of year again when you and all your co-workers, friends and acquaintances fear the cold, clammy hand of the dreaded fever-inducing, mucus-making virus known as influenza.
But you can avoid that clammy hand! Or at least decrease the chances it will grab you and throw you down on the couch for a week. And if you act fast, you won't even have to pay to do so.
The Cincinnati Health Department, University of Cincinnati and UC Health are giving out 2,600 free flu shots this month via a program called "Hero Bearcats." The shots will be administered by clinicians from the health department and UC Health.
The shots are formulated each year to protect against the most common expected strains of the flu.
You can get one at the following times and locations from now until Jan. 31:
• The Ambrose Clement Health Center at 3559 Reading Road will be administering the shots 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays and Wednesdays; Thursdays 1 p.m.-4 p.m.; and Fridays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The Braxton Cann Memorial Medical Center at 5818 Madison Road will be giving out free flu shots 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. on Fridays.
• The Bobbie Stern Health Center at 1515 Elm St. will have the shots available 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays.
• The Millvale Health Center at 2750 Beekman St. will administer the shots 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays and 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays
• The Northside Health Center at 3917 Spring Grove Ave. will give the shots 5 p.m.-7 p.m. on Tuesdays
• The Price Hill Health Center at 2136 W. 8th St. will have the shots on the 2nd and 4th Fridays in January from 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
• The Walnut Street Health Center at 1005 Walnut St. will have the shots 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday
• The shots are also available at UC's University Health Services by appointment. Call 513-556-2564