If you've ever wanted to try your hand (foot?) at roller derby, this fall you'll have the opportunity to participate in a crash course from the best in the city.
Cincinnati Rollergirls are hosting a first-ever boot camp from Oct.13-24 for aspiring skaters. Tryouts for the 2020 season will be held on Oct. 27.
The camp will welcome all skill levels and genders, ages 18 and older, and will educate participants in the basic skills and strategies used in flat-track roller derby.
There will be two different camps from which to choose. The one-day "crash course" ($15) will be held on Oct. 13 from 9:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m. and will provide participants with the minimum skills required by the Women's Flat Track Derby Association, including roller derby's governing body and how to play in sanctioned games.
The two-week boot camp ($40) will take place from Oct. 13-24 and will give participants the opportunity to practice WFTDA minimum skills more in-depth. The classes will focus on different skills throughout the course, including stopping, partner drills, footwork and pack work.
Below are the boot camp times, locations and dates:
- Sunday, Oct. 13: Doors open at 9 a.m., WFTDA Minimum Skills Crash Course 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at The Place, 3211 Lina Pl, Cincinnati, OH 45239
- Tuesday, Oct. 15: Doors open at 8 p.m., boot camp 8:30-10 p.m. at Skatetown USA, 8730 N Pavilion Dr, West Chester, OH 45069
- Thursday, Oct. 17: Doors open at 8 p.m., boot camp 8:30-10 p.m. at Skatetown USA
- Sunday, Oct. 20: Doors open at 9 a.m., boot camp 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at The Place
- Tuesday, Oct. 22: Doors open at 8 p.m., boot camp 8:30-10 p.m. at Skatetown USA
- Thursday, Oct. 24: Doors open at 8 p.m., boot camp 8:30-10 p.m. at Skatetown USA
- Sunday, Oct. 27: Doors open at 9 a.m., tryouts 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at The Place.
The Oct. 27 team tryouts are free; attendees aren't required to attend either of the boot camps in order to try out.