International Women's Day is "a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women" which also "marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity."
Locally, International Women's Day also happens to be a great day to visit a local brewery.
For the third year, Norwood's Listermann Brewing Co. is releasing a female-brewed beer in honor of the holiday.
On Feb. 1, Listermann hosted a community brew day inviting all women — not just seasoned or home brewers — to help brew a Berliner Weisse, which will be released in four-packs and on draft on March 8 for International Women’s Day. Like last year, the four-pack can art will also feature work from local female artists. Jaclin Hastings, Sarah Francis Hollis, Jenny Roessel Ustick and Emily Louise Howard will be producing the four designs to be found on the yet-to-be-named beer's cans and each four-pack will feature all four designs.
Ten percent of proceeds generated from the brew will be donated to local nonprofit organization Women Helping Women, which assists survivors of dating, sexual and domestic violence and stalking. On International Women’s Day, Listermann will host an event at the taproom from 4-11 p.m. to commemorate the release where $1 from every pint sold and 10 percent of bottle sales will be donated to Women Helping Women. Listermman is located at 1621 Dana Ave., Norwood. Get more info at listermannbrewing.com.
- 3-3:30 p.m. “Boozy History: The History of Women in Beer” with instructor Dr. Alyssa McClanahan, historian and founder of Kunst
- 3:30-4 p.m. “BYOB: Bring Your Own Brew - A Lesson in Brewing” with instructor Roxanne Westendorf of Taft's Brewing Company
- 4-4:30 p.m. “Beer and Balance: Shedding Beer Calories with Yoga” with instructor Amber Gean of Yoga ah
- 4:30-5 p.m. “Saving up for Beer Money: Personal Finance” with instructor Emerald Sparks, LTD, Financial Strategist
- 5-5:30 p.m. “DIY Needlepoint Coasters” with instructor Fabi of The Welcome Project
- 5:30-6 p.m. “Drink About It: Unwinding and Self-Care” with instructor Abbey Bruce, a recovering HR professional and mother to a 13-year-old
There will be a "graduation" at 8 p.m. with music from Jess Lamb and the Factory and Brooklynn Rae.