In November, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear implemented six new statewide restrictions to help control the spread of COVID across the Commonwealth.
The restrictions went into effect Nov. 20 and will last until 11:59 p.m. Dec. 13. They include further limiting the amount of people at gatherings (the max is now eight), limiting venue attendance, reducing capacity at gyms, asking anyone who can to work remotely, ceasing in-person education and closing all bars and restaurants to indoor service (carry-out, delivery and to-go can continue but the venues must adhere to the mask and seating rules).
"None of these decisions are easy — I can tell you, none of them are going to be popular," Beshear said then.
He also announced a new plan to help those bars and restaurants he ordered to close.
"So many of our restaurants and bars are small businesses that have people's futures invested in them so in an attempt to provide some — albeit not enough — relief, we are launching a $40 million fund to assist restaurants and bars impacted by this step," he said.
The new Team Kentucky Food and Beverage Relief Fund will award one-time grants of up to $10,000 to restaurants and bars; those with multiple locations can receive up to $20,000. The intent is to reimburse the business for money spent on expenses including rent, employee salaries, health insurance, inventory and PPE between March 6 and Dec. 31 this year.
Applications opened at noon Monday. As of yesterday, more than 2,000 applications had been submitted, asking for nearly $19 million of the $40 million available.
“Our team of application processors is working diligently on each claim. They have been training and preparing for weeks to make sure we can help as many people as possible, as quickly as possible,” said Beshear.
The grants are for "mom-and-pop" establishments, not chains or drive-thrus.
To check your eligibility or to apply, visit teamkyfbrf.ky.gov.