While summer officially starts on June 21, neighborhood creamy whips have already opened their windows to little leaguers and other soft-serve fiends, most pools kicked-off open swim during Memorial Day weekend and music fest season is here in all its fringey crop-topped, fanny-packed glory. So, yes, while summer won’t technically start for another two weeks or so, if it looks like summer and feels like summer... You know the rest.
Here are some ways to help you kick off summer right, including a rundown of some rum cocktails, where to find good hot dogs, a look at a new epicurean creamy whip, a list of summer music festivals and a handful of public pools where you can cool down when things heat up.
- Yo-Ho-Ho and the Resurgence of Rum: This much-maligned black-outable beach bar booze might be the next big spirit as bartenders celebrate its origins and versatility
- Whip It: East Price Hill’s Bold Face Dairy Bar is an epicurean creamy whip that will elevate your taste buds and upgrade childhood nostalgia
- (Hot) Dog Days of Summer: Nine places to get your frankfurter fix in Cincinnati
- Summertime Blues (and Rock and Hip Hop and R&B…): Cincinnati’s summer music festivals offer something for everyone
- 8 Cincinnati Public Pools and Spraygrounds