Morning News: Simpson counters Cranley's city wage idea; Pence hits Cincy for a chili stop; Kasich says Trump offered him VP position

Cincinnati Police shot and killed a man Sunday morning downtown at Government Square after they say he pulled a knife on officers.

click to enlarge Indiana Gov. Mike Pence - Wikipedia
Wikipedia
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence

Good morning all. Here’s your news today.

Cincinnati Police shot and killed a man Sunday morning downtown at Government Square after they say he pulled a knife on officers. Witnesses say the man, who was shot multiple times, was well-known downtown and may have been experiencing homelessness. Authorities have not released the man’s name, but say he was a suspect in a robbery earlier that morning at the Vine Street Kroger in Over-the-Rhine. During that robbery, the suspect held a knife to a security guard’s throat, officers say. CPD will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. today to discuss the shooting.

• Councilwoman Yvette Simpson is proposing alternatives to Mayor John Cranley’s move to give raises to as many as 6,000 union-represented city workers over the next three years. Simpson today called Cranley’s plan “reckless” and “shortsighted” in a social media post outlining other possible ways to go about boosting city employees' pay. Simpson and other Democrat Council members have criticized Cranley’s plan because they say it undercuts City Manager Harry Black’s collective bargaining authority, creates spending deficits over the next three years, appears to be politically motivated and could violate the city’s charter and Ohio law.

Simpson’s suggestions: Amend this year’s budget to make room for wage increases, then send unions back to the negotiating table with Black. Most unions have already bargained with the city and come to an agreement before Cranley’s proposal, although the Fraternal Order of Police was still wrangling with the city. Simpson’s second proposal: Allow the FOP and another union, CODE, which is also still negotiating, to complete those talks with the city, then wrap other unions up in the agreements they reach. That idea would also mean that the city budget would need to be amended. Simpson says her ideas would preserve the collective bargaining process while providing city workers fair wage boosts. The counter proposal comes as Simpson mulls a primary challenge against Cranley ahead of the 2017 mayoral election.

• GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence dropped by Cincinnati briefly Saturday to shake some hands, eat some chili and take some selfies. Pence’s appearance was unannounced by GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign, but the Cincinnati Enquirer reported it Friday and Pence drew big crowds as he dropped by Price Hill Chili. Pence is better at the local, retail politics he practiced Saturday than Trump, who thrives on larger, more epic events like his West Chester campaign rally in the spring. The West Side restaurant where Pence dropped by is a favorite of conservative politicians looking to mix it up with everyday folks.

• The long-coming Fourth and Race mixed-use development project downtown still has a little ways to go in terms of design, a city panel has said, but is a lot better than it was earlier this summer. The project, being put together by Indianapolis group Flaherty and Collins and the Cincinnati City Center Development Corporation, will feature luxury apartments, a parking garage and retail space. Earlier plans for the structure needed some work, Cincinnati’s Urban Design Review Board told developers back in June, mostly around making the building simpler and more aesthetically unified. Developers then removed some brick-colored elements, changed some large panels to a neutral white color and made other simplifications. In a meeting Friday, the review board lauded those changes but said developers need to come back one more time with some further changes that will give the two-tower structure more definition and visual appeal. The board advises City Manager Harry Black about urban design but can’t nix or approve a project on its own.

• Ohio Gov. John Kasich has confirmed that the Trump presidential campaign reached out to him with an offer to make him The Donald’s running mate last month. Rumors about the offer were stoked by a New York Times story reporting that Trump promised Kasich he would be the “most powerful vice president in history,” in charge of both foreign and domestic affairs, if he took the position. Trump later denied that any offer had been given. But Kasich yesterday told CNN’s “State of the Union” that Trump’s son, Donald, Jr., did indeed reach out to a Kasich aide with the proposal. Kasich turned the offer down.

Scroll to read more News Feature articles
Join the CityBeat Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state.
Help us keep this coverage going with a one-time donation or an ongoing membership pledge.

Newsletters

Join CityBeat Newsletters

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.