The first Clifton Heights Music Festival took place toward the end of the last decade, as the Clifton Heights neighborhood near the University of Cincinnati was practically crumbling thanks to demolition and construction for various projects designed to make the area more of a thriving entertainment district for students and residents (you know, like most other universities have).
Since then, as The Heights Music Festival (as it was renamed last year) has grown in the number of performers, venues and attendees, the neighborhood it’s based in has seen an even bigger growth spurt. Fest director Rome Ntukogu of Far-I-Rome Production also announced that instead of two Heights fests this year (previously, festivals were held in the spring and in the fall), this weekend’s Heights Music Festival (the eighth overall) will be the only one for 2013.
• Friday at Rohs Street Café: The Freebies (8 p.m.); MC Forty (9 p.m.); Young Colt (10 p.m.); The Yugos (11 p.m.).
• Friday at Baba Budan’s: One Day Steady (9 p.m.); Wonky Tonk (10 p.m.); AC The Entity, Citoak (11 p.m.); Filthy Beast (midnight).
• Friday at Mac’s Pizza: Rachel Mousie (9 p.m.); Common Center (10 p.m.); Big Rock Club (11 p.m.); Olu, Crack Sauce (midnight).
• Friday at Christy’s: Zach Starkie (9 p.m.); The Newt (10 p.m.); Junya Be & Wazali (11 p.m.); Gold Shoes (midnight).
• Saturday at Rohs Street Café: Brent Stroud (9 p.m.); Moonbeau (10 p.m.); Little Lights (11 p.m.).
• Saturday at Baba Budan’s: VanillaSake (9 p.m.); Sulla (10 p.m.); LZRPNY (11 p.m.); Horsecop (midnight).
• Saturday at Mac’s: Koala Fires (9 p.m.); Emily and The Complexes (10 p.m.); Tana Matz (11 p.m.) and MJs Blues (midnight).
• Saturday at Christy’s: Jordon Schneider (9 p.m.); Baoku & The Image Afrobeat Band (10 p.m.); The Almighty Getdown (11 p.m.); The Killtones (midnight).
For more info on the fest, including sound and video clips from the performers, visit The Heights’ official site at theheightsmusicfestival.com. Below is a playlist organizers made featuring a handful of participating artists.