Tristate hipsters' shopping selection has significantly decreased with the closing of Newport's Village Discount Outlet this week.—-
The 2010 Best of Cincinnati readers' pick for Best Clothing Store (Non-Chain) is closed permanently, according to Village Discount, Inc., representatives in Columbus. The other area location, in Colerain, has been closed for some time now.
Although it had lost some of its charm due to recent popularity, Village Thrift will always be remembered as the place to go for unique knick-knacks, ironic T-shirts and crazy good deals.
To honor this lost gem, I'd like to note some special items I have purchased at Village Discount - Newport:
- Various holiday-themed turtlenecks
- Faux dried flowers in a shadowbox
- Purple-sleeved raglan shirt
- Oil paintings to repurpose/vandalize
- Countless Christmas records
- Yellow-and-grey-striped Harajuku Lovers longjohns
You'll be missed, Village, but we'll always have the memories.