Cincinnati CityBeat is your free source for Cincinnati and Ohio news, arts and culture coverage, restaurant reviews, music, things to do, photos, and more.
We’ve passed the halfway point of 2023, and, unfortunately, this year so far hasn’t been without its casualties to some of Greater Cincinnati’s restaurants, bars and bakeries. While we’re always excited to see how the food and drink scene here evolves over time, it’s never easy to lose a favorite restaurant. From decades-old establishments to young hot spots that seemingly had bright futures ahead of them, here are 15 restaurants we’ve lost so far this year.
Symposium
This East Walnut Hills cafe and wine bar shut its doors for good on June 12, with the owners writing on social media, “the day we wished never to come has arrived. Aaron & I would be immensely grateful if you would share your Symposium photos and memories with us via DM or in the comments with the hashtag #SymposiumForever. we love you all so much.” No reason for the closure was given. Symposium opened in May 2022 sporting a relaxed, Hemingway cafe-style atmosphere, with three bars, a main dining room with a lounge known as The Nest, a private dining and event space and a small outdoor patio for early birds and night owls alike. Each bar served something different: one for drinks (they were best known for their avian-inspired cocktails, or “Birdtails”), another for coffee and the final had food. Owners J. Matt Nickels and chef Aaron Owen told CityBeat at the time that they wanted Symposium to also embody the stories of old Italy told to them by family. Owen also shut down his Over-the-Rhine sandwich shop, Ole Republic Larder. Photo: Hailey BollingerPhoto: Catie VioxRoyce at The Foundry Photo: Catie VioxJack Brown’s Beer & Burger Joint
Classic Jack Burger in slider form: Premium wagyu beef topped with caramelized onions, American cheese, pickles and Jack Brown’s sauce Photo: Catie VioxSpoon: Kitchen & Market
Spoon: Kitchen & Market was a neighborhood bistro, cafe and grocery shop in Covington that placed a heavy focus on sustainability, fresh ingredients that were in season and locally sourced and community. It closed in March, with the restaurant saying the world had changed too much since it first opened its doors in 2019 to continue its mission to provide local foods rooted in sustainability. “We would like to thank everyone that has made this journey possible. Along the way we’ve made an abundance of new friends and been a part of countless special moments in the Mainstrasse community,” the restaurant wrote on its website. “Thank you again to everyone that believed and supported us along the way.” Photo: Google MapsQlicious Bubble Tea & Pastries and Queens Bakery
7117 Haskell St., Liberty Township; 4770 Fields Ertel Road, Mason
$10 Featured Combo:
Any small drink of choice (any flavor, toppings excluded) and a slice of Pandan & Cream Roll Photo: acw.asianati.comBack in 2019, both Food & Wine and Vogue magazines named this Cincinnati eatery to their lists of the “most anticipated” American restaurant openings of 2020. Photo: Hailey BollingerWahlburgers
Wahlburgers, a burger restaurant and bar chain owned by chef Paul Wahlberg and his brothers, actor Mark and singer Donnie, opened a franchise in downtown Cincinnati in early 2018. But by the end of March this year, a sign posted to the door of the restaurant told patrons it had closed. A reason hasn’t been given. The nearest Wahlburgers now is at Hollywood Gaming in Dayton. Photo: Allie MartinMighty Good is located at 1819 Elm St., Over-the-Rhine next to Findlay Market. Photo: Catie VioxHouse of Orange Sports Bar & Grill
In April, this popular spot to watch an FC Cincinnati match shut its doors and posted a note outside reading, “Thank you to all our patrons who have shared memories with us over the past few years. The House of Orange is closed indefinitely.” House of Orange is listed as permanently closed on Google, its website has been deactivated and its social media hasn’t been updated since March. Photo: Provided by House of OrangePorta Nera
Sharonville’s Porta Nera closed at the beginning of June – but thankfully not for good. The Italian American restaurant known for bringing Little Italy’s heritage to the Greater Cincinnati area closed temporarily to move to a new location. Porta Nera also says it entered a partnership with a local restaurant group to bolster its position in the community and aid them in providing diners an unforgettable dining experience. “The decision to move wasn’t made lightly, but we are confident that this temporary closure will pave the way for bigger and better opportunities,” owner and chef Aaron Boehm said in a press release. “Our partnership with one of the region’s most respected restaurant groups promises to enhance Porta Nera’s rich potential while infusing it with a renewed sense of vibrancy and innovation. We can’t wait to share what we’ve been cooking up.” Photo: facebook.com/portaneraitalianPontiac OTR
1403 Vine St., Over-the-Rhine
Over-the-Rhine’s Pontiac BBQ announced in July that they would be converting into a new concept due to the time-intensive nature of making good-ass brisket and other barbecue. The restaurant reopened in August as Pontiac OTR and moving forward will focus on smoked wings and tiki cocktails.
Photo via Facebook.com/PontiacOTR Photo: Facebook.com/PontiacOTRLatitudes Bar & Bistro
Hailed as one of the best restaurants in town by America’s Best Restaurants, Anderson Township’s Latitudes Bar & Bistro served up everything from steaks and pastas to burgers and flatbreads. It was also a hub for entertainment, with something going on almost every night, according to its website. The bar and bistro posted to Facebook in June announcing the closure, writing, “It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closing of Latitudes. Everything ends. Make sure you enjoy the moments that make life special. Recognize those moments. Take time to cherish the small things because in a flash they are gone Thank you to everyone that made Latitudes Bar & Bistro a very special place.” Photo: Google MapsThe Glenway Frisch’s
A Frisch’s that had sat on its Glenway corner for decades quietly closed for good, shocking many of its regular West Side patrons. A note posted to the door in June read, “We are sorry, this location is being closed permanently. Please visit us at one of our other locations … It was our pleasure serving you and we hope to see you soon.” Frisch’s told local news outlets that the decision to close the 75-year-old location was difficult, but they want to continue to grow and change with the times, and they also have to make decisions to fight the impact of inflation. Photo: Google MapsBonomini Bakery
This longtime Northside bakery closed suddenly after its owner suffered a stroke in February. “Due to this,” a sign posted on the door read, “the family has decided to focus on health and family and suspend business until further notice. Thank you for your patronage, prayers, & understanding.” The business is still listed as “temporarily closed” on Google. Photo: Google Maps
Katherine Barrier is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati’s journalism program and has nearly 10 years of experience reporting local and national news as a digital journalist. At CityBeat, she...
More by Katherine Barrier